Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Review


As much as I hate to say it, the second of four films in The Hunger Games book trilogy was pretty darn good.

I was far from a fan of the first movie, but Catching Fire has made me care about this series. I honestly may go see it again.

The film's pacing is one of its strongest attributes. The movie has no slow parts and the story's action never stops rising.

When the movie tries to be funny, it's funny. When the movie tries to be dramatic, it's dramatic. And the fighting is finally well shot. No more nauseating shaky cam.

My only complaint is that there are multiple scenes during 'the games' that are shot at night. I'm just guessing, but I assume that they did this so they didn't have to make the special effects so detailed and so the violence wasn't so violent. I've seen other movies do this but none have done it so well. At least the scenes are shot well and the reason for it being night makes perfect sense.

Not having read the books, this movie is still a great stand alone flick, unlike the first Hunger Games in my opinion.

3.5/4 stars

-Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment