Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Music Review: Bangerz

Bangerz by Miley Cyrus may not be a 'must buy' but it is definitely something worth checking out. Being a supporter of Cyrus when so many are hating on the previous Disney star, a knock-out new album was something I was hoping for. The final result is nothing revolutionary but something much more than passable.

I've only listened to the album one time through, skipping over "We Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball" due to my familiarity thanks to the over saturation on the radio. The first half of Bangerz had me worried.

Tracks 1 through 7 (excluding "We Can't Stop" and "My Darlin'") I found to be repetitive to the point of boredom and annoyance. "4x4" and "Love Money Party" are probably the two worst songs on the album.

By the time I reached track 8 ("#Getitright"), I was able to breath a little easier; Miley hasn't produced a completely terrible album presenting a more than acceptable second half of Bangerz. Tracks 8 through 11 are the best on the album.

"#Getitright" is fun and poppy. "Drive" is dark and deep. "Fu" is probably the best song on the album (perhaps competing with "Drive"), showing off Miley's strong vocals. "Do my thang" is another good party song comparable to "We Can't Stop."

One of the album's strong points is the fact that all the songs sound different from each other. There is a good mix of jazzy noise with big bass to slower, pop style vocals. So be prepared to hear a unique blend of songs, as well as Miley saying the words "Mike Will Made It" throughout the album.

The album starts out disappointing with a couple songs keeping it afloat till the powerful middle. The final tracks (12 through 16) are pretty generic sounding with little energy except for the stand-out, "Rooting for My Baby." Miley's voice here sounds soothing while also catchy. This may be my personal favorite because of how the song gives off a peaceful vibe while also having a lingering sadness.

Overall, this is a good album presenting Cyrus in a new light with respectable results. 7 out of 10 with a strong replay ability.

Good/Memorable Songs:
"We Can't Stop"
"My Darlin'"
"#Getitright"
"Drive"
"Fu"
"Do My Thang"
"Rooting for My Baby"

Passable/Forgettable Songs:
"SMS (Bangerz)"
"Wrecking Ball"
"Adore You"
"Maybe You're Right"
"Someone Else"
"On My Own"
"Hands in the Air"

Bad Songs:
"Love Money Party"
"4x4"


Review by Kyle Schwab

No comments:

Post a Comment