Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Cornetto Trilogy's final chapter: The World's End Review

My freshman year of college I wrote a paper arguing that Shaun of the Dead was the greatest film of all time.

In 2007, I begged my mom to let me buy Hot Fuzz on DVD. It was the first R-rated movie I owned.

And now in the present we finally have the last installment in the loosely connected 'Cornetto Trilogy' by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, The World's End. I was pretty excited to see this!

To put the plot in one sentence, five friends reunite after 20 years to reattempt a pub crawl but things turn rather blue when they discover their old hometown has been taken over by alien robots. Basically.

This movie has a ton of laughs and my favorite part was just seeing Simon Pegg and Nick Frost together again in an Edgar Wright film. But this time around the buddy dynamic between the two of them is a little different.

Gary King (Pegg) and Andy Knightley (Frost) aren't anything close to best friends anymore because of something terrible the selfish, jerk of a character King did to Knightley years earlier. Their whole gang of friends hasn't really kept in touch, but King smooth talks his way into tricking everyone to return for the pub crawl.

Pegg's character in this film, while funny most of the time, is really hard to like. It is next to impossible to truly root for him because of the way he treats his group of buds. For instance, he is so obsessed with completing "The Golden Mile" that while the rest of the gang is fighting off hordes of blue 'ink' filled robots he is dead-set on finishing his pint before helping.

The chemistry between all the friends is fun to watch due to Wright's quick and unique editing style. The more drunk the friends get, the more fun they get to watch too.

The film is paced well with no noticeable slow points. The fast wit and recurring jokes will keep you laughing and entertained, and then when things get a little hairy, the crazy fight scenes will spark up the movie with stylized, choreographed action.

For veterans knowledgeable about the previous movies in the trilogy, references will be noticeable, like the obvious Cornetto ice cream to the 'hopping the fence' gag; my personal favorite.

After I watched this movie I really wanted to do a bar crawl. But when I kept thinking about it, I realized that no bar crawl could ever match the one in The World's End

I would give this movie a go while it is still in theaters. I saw it when it came out a couple weeks ago, but I really do want to see it a second time.

This film has a definite re-watch ability because there are so many jokes and play on words to catch. So if you want to see drunk old friends fighting alien robots then go see this movie!

-Kyle

Also, check out Spaced on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment